Applying for a Property
NEW LEGISLATION - effective 1st February 2016
- The Home Office has announced that from 1 February 2016, the Right to Rent scheme will be extended across England
- The legislation comes under Section 22 of the Immigration Act 2014
- The intention of the Scheme is to ensure that illegal immigrants are unable to establish a settled life in the UK, which includes restricting access to the private sector rented accommodation.
- What this means for all private landlords in England, including those subletting or taking in lodgers, is that they will have to check new tenants have the right to be in the UK before renting out their property.
- This means as of 1 February 2016, any person who rents out private property in England will need to see and make a copy of proof that any new adult tenant has the right to rent in the UK, whether come from outside the UK or not.
When applying for a property, regardless of your Nationality or current Country of residence you will need to be checked to ensure you meet the specified criteria.
Welcome to our applications section
In this section you will find all the information required to apply for a property. To ensure we can deal with your application quickly and efficiently, please ensure you thoroughly read all of the information below prior to submitting your application.
If you have any problems or queries or need help completing your application form please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Application forms are only accepted once you have viewed the property internally
- One application form must be completed by each person aged 18 or over who will be residing at the property
- An application fee of £210 plus £60 per person thereafter is payable upon submission of the application. An additional fee of £60 is also payable if a guarantor is required. (Please Note: This fee will apply separately for each guarantor used). (This must be cleared funds in the form of cash, bankers draft or credit/debit card) (please note credit cards carry a 2.5% fee)
- Please bear in mind applications can take up to 7-10 working days to process
Upon receipt of your completed application form we will contact the landlord and inform them of your application. Subject to their consent in principal we will proceed with the application process.
The application fee covers the administrative costs including referencing and credit checks which are carried out by the professional referencing company Leaseguard. Please note the payment is non-refundable if you fail the referencing or you withdraw your application. Should the landlord refuse your application for any other reason, this fee will be returned to you.
Step by Step Guide to the Application Process
- Read this page in its entirety prior to downloading the application form
- Ensure you complete the application form in full.
- If you have any special requests regarding the property you are applying for, you must make this known on your application form. Please use a separate sheet is necessary.
- You are asked to provide a preferred move in date. Please bear in mind that completed applications can take 7-10 days to process. We will make every effort to accommodate any specific requests but these cannot be guaranteed and any complications or guarantor requests will delay the application process.
- Once we are in receipt of your completed application form, we will contact the landlord for confirmation they are happy for us to proceed with obtaining references. Upon receipt of the landlord’s approval, we contact you to pay the required fees as indicated above. Once received, we will then proceed with your application and cease viewings on the property.
- If you cannot satisfy Leaseguard (the referencing company) that you have enough rent to income ratio you may require a guarantor. A guarantor will only be accepted at the landlord’s discretion and they must be UK based. They will be asked to sign an agreement to guarantee the full amount of rent for the property and will also need to be fully credit checked.
Providing results are satisfactory we will contact you to arrange two specific appointments:
- The first appointment is to sign the contract. At this appointment we will also require cleared funds in the form of cash, bankers draft or credit/debit card. Please Note: Personal cheques will not be accepted under any circumstances and credit cards will carry a 2.5% fee)
- for the rent and bond. All bonds are paid over to the Custodial Scheme unless you are notified otherwise. A factsheet providing details of the Custodial Scheme can be downloaded here-
- The second appointment is where our representative will meet you at the property on the day the contract starts. During this appointment we will hand over the keys, confirm the inventory, which details the contents and condition of the property to which you will be asked to agree/add your comments accordingly. Please be aware that it is your responsibility to register your own liability for gas, electricity, water and council tax, together with TV license, telephone lines, Broadband etc. as required.
Download application form (PDF, 230 KB)
Download guarantor form (PDF, 178 KB)
If you would like to discuss any aspect of the application process, please contact us on 0114 268 8702 or email email@example.com.